Oral Cancer Screening
Oral cancer strikes three times as many victims as cervical cancer. It is one of the few cancers that has not experienced a significant reduction in incidence over the past 30 years, and recent research indicates a strong link with Human Papilloma Virus (HPV), which can be sexually transmitted. For this reason, many oral health care professionals now believe that all individuals over the age of 18 need at least one comprehensive oral examination per year, or, ideally, with every dental hygiene visit. While the incidence of oral cancer may be on the rise, early screening, diagnosis and treatment planning does save lives.
Signs You May Have Oral Cancer
- Swelling, lumps, erosion, or rough spots anywhere in the mouth.
- Developing "velvety" white, red, or white and red areas within the mouth.
- Bleeding unexpectedly in the mouth.
- Unexpected numbness, pain, or tenderness in the face, mouth, or neck.
- Lasting sores that bleed easily and do not heal within 14 days.
CONTACT ISLAND TOWER DENTISTRY
Dr. Schulze and his qualified team of dental hygienists, dental assistants, and office support staff are ready to assist you with all of your dental needs. To contact Island Tower Dentistry regarding a dental concern or to make an appointment, call 239-394-1004. Our office is conveniently located at 606 Bald Eagle Drive, Suite 200, Marco Island, Florida 34145.